New lease of life for the Wey Navigations
The Wey Navigation in Surrey was one of the earliest canal projects in Britain. Completed in 1653, it made the River Wey navigable from Guildford to the Thames, providing a route from London to Portsmouth which avoided the English Channel – a particularly hazardous course at the time of the Napoleonic wars.
The river was made navigable by a series of weirs which control the water level using penstock sluices. The last penstocks were installed in 1933 and, at over 80 years old, are in need of replacement.
KGAL has been contracted by Arcadis to work with them on behalf of the Environment Agency to detail design the new penstocks and their supporting steelwork. The first weir to have its penstock replaced will be Hamm Oil Mills Weir (sluice pictured), which is at the junction of the Wey Navigation with the River Thames.