Portishead marina in Somerset, England; all M & E and hydraulic engineering
These gates are widely used for sea locks at the entrance to marinas where passage through the lock is required under the widest possible tidal range.
- Can open or close with a full differential head.
- Operates with water loads from either side.
- Quick operating, typically 60 secs as the gates move through an arc.
- Cuts easily through any silting.
- Curved skin means water loads are transfered directly to the pivot which reduces friction.
- More complex design of gate structure and sealing.
- Larger civil works due to side recesses.
- Curved skin needs an assembly jig.
- Pivot alignment is critical.