The Refurbishment of Storr Lochs
The Isle of Skye's Storr Lochs Power Station can be found on the shores of Bearreraig Bay, just off the A855, below Loch Leven Dam, which holds back the waters of Loch Leven and Loch Fada. Access to the station is by winch operated railway or on foot; there are no roads. It is an idyllic location overlooked by the Old Man of Storr and the nearby beach is a treasure trove for fossil hunters.
The original Storr Lochs project was constructed between 1950 and 1952 with an installed capacity of 2.4MW. Through its life, the station produced an average 8 million kWh of electricity annually through three Gilkes Francis turbines.
KGAL's involvement with the re-planting and upgrading of Storr Lochs began in late 2011 with an initial scoping visit to look at the possibilities for refurbishing or replacing the original equipment. The initial engineering work looked at the potential for running two units instead of three, and retiring one of the two exisiting penstocks to reduce the onerous maintenance costs of keeping the two pipes in service.
The scope and extent of the work was developed over the following years until, in April 2015, the contract was placed for the supply of two replacement generating sets. Subsequently, other major orders were placed for new transformers, replacement of the electrical controls, protection and switchgear, refurbishment of the penstocks, civil works and other minor mechanical and electrical works. KGAL's role was to provide the Project Manager under various NEC3 forms of contract, fulfil the role of Principal Designer and manage the site works with a resident Site Manager. In December 2017, the new equipment at Storr Lochs went into full time commercial service and KGAL is proud to have played a part in renewing the energy production in this beautiful part of Scotland.